They do especialy like the potted pepper plants on the back deck. Perhaps that's because they get watered each evening.
Who doesn't love seeing butterflies! I'm glad I planted flowers in the boxes after the spinach and lettuce was finished.
These funny little hens come running whenever they see me. I'd like to think they love me, but I know they just expect treats.
The fluffy little white one is Lola, She is a Showgirl. She's the mother of this crew. The big red on is her daughter from this spring, Amber. She is the only survivor of the terrible raccoon attack. The other six are her 6-week-old daughters. They haven't earned names yet, but they're cuties!
They sure are friendly little ones
Pretty little raccoon, we've talked about this. Even if you can't get in the coops and hurt the hens, you cannot keep coming around and trying. We wish you all the best in your new forest home several miles away.
Are we fighting a losing battle? We got a little motion-activated light to deter them. We'll see if that works!
Good job, little garden! You may rest now. We'll go again next spring!









Wow those are big raccoons! I forgot, did they break into the chicken coop? I'm sure it's hard to make sure it is raccoon-proof. Is Fancy still around? I wouldn't want you bragging on the others and not her. My squash leaves used to be touched with mildew. Never could get them to flourish. You must have some good shade on your deck - or maybe you didn't have the weekly 100+ temps?
ReplyDeleteThe raccoons... ugh... There's some major construction (cutting so many trees) a couple of miles away. I wonder if they're just moving down the road and find our backyard a nice hang out. Fancy-like was a good little hen for several years. She's no longer with us. [insert sad face]
DeleteWe do have some shade on our deck. And, girl, yes... we did have the 3-digit days... too many of them!!!
What a useful and well-presented article. I enjoyed the way you combined helpful details with an easy-to-read writing style. It is clear that some thought went into making the information practical for readers. Posts like this are much more useful than short, vague explanations. Really nice work!
ReplyDelete